Using the right word at the right time is an important part of communication skills, which contributes greatly to your success in today’s competitive phase. As soon as you start paying attention to the selection of words, people will start listening to your words carefully.
Whether it is a playground or classroom or your office, you have to work with people everywhere and how much people cooperate with you, it is very much dependent on your behavior and conversation. Communication skills mean to speak your words effectively and to listen to others and to get the support of others.
Below are fifteen quick tips to improve your communication skills:
- Reading whatever interests you in the language that you wish you to master is one of the first steps in self-learning.
- You may not necessarily read “classic literature”.
- Just start by reading editorial columns in the newspapers/magazines/online general articles of your interest.
- Whenever you read, you will come across many words the meanings of which may not be precisely known to you. Note such words, then check out the dictionary to know the specific meaning of the word and its usage.
- Then try to use such newly learned words appropriately and frequently.
Refer to the dictionary more often
- The more you add to your language vocabulary the more you know the usage of words.
- You need to speak more in the language that concerns you (in this context I assume it’s English)
- Speak to people around you and tell them that you intend to improve and excel.
- If there’s someone who can communicate well…ensure you make such a person your mentor (such mentors will point out to you on anything if you are going wrong)
- Speaking to yourself aloud in front of a mirror is one of the ways where you develop confidence and know what you look like while you are speaking. (you can start this by reading out aloud)
- Always remember, “it’s not what you speak, its how you speak that matters”
As important as it is to speak, it is equally important to be a good listener in order to be a good learner.
Listen to people speak in the language you intend to master. You will get a good idea on how words are pronounced, used and woven into a sentence.
A fun-filled way to do is watch movies in the language you intend to master.
Improving on Grammar
More so people are not as apt with grammatical concepts of a language.
Ensure you pick up some simple elementary grammar books to help you understand the basic grammatical concepts (wren and martin by far is the best elementary grammar book available)
Write down your thoughts
Try to write down your thoughts. This gives you the opportunity to write what you have learned.
You could start doing so by writing a simple daily diary. if you continue to do so, you would be able to see the improvement in your language usage over a period of time.
All said and done, nothing can help unless you practice. It is important.
Never never never stop learning….remember learning a language is not simple if you don’t practice and stop continued learning you may not learn enough….keep learning all along.
For the right communication, first, start judging your body language. It may happen sometime that you want to say something and your body language is saying something else.
Always pay attention to another person by keeping eye contact while face-to-face communication so that the other person knows that you are paying attention.
The negative body language can impact your relationship with other person and can damage your reputation.
Two Way Communication
Focus on two-way communication. It should not happen that you are talking more and another person is just listening. You should also calmly listen to others. Two-way communicant is very important.
Be Calm & Comfortable
Always be calm and comfortable during interaction with others. It will help you in choosing the right words, focusing on the topic and controlling your body language.
Know the other person
During the talk, know who you are talking to. The way to talk to everyone can be different. When you talk to a child, you support different types of communication. In the office, we have to resort to professional communication skills.
Talk to the point
Talking point-to-point will be easy for both you. Therefore, take this special note when talking.
If you want to criticize, then do it in a diplomatic way, tell the other person what kind of his/her action is a problem for you. Never criticize the person, criticize his work.
These are some basic steps that could help you to improve on your skills gradually (nothing happens overnight)
Do let me know if this was helpful.